“What I need… is a strong drink and a peer group.” ― Douglas Adams,
There’s a good chance we only get one shot at this: a “brief flight through a brightly lit room1” and all that. (Of course, maybe we are stuck in the cyclic re-existence of saṃsāra … but how could we know?)
Anyway, the point is I (seem to2) get everything I want so long as it improves the sum-total “good” in the superconscious multiverse – but the first step is knowing what I actually want! Ask yourself, as I do: What Future Do You Want?
- Remember to make great art
- Consider the five lists and all your personal resources
- If you’re feeling particularly positive & powerful, consider righting the wrongs and doing thirteen impossible things
- Otherwise, think about How To Become A Superman, kaizen and how to have a healthy, hyperfit life.
- “The present life of man upon earth, O King, seems to me in comparison with that time which is unknown to us like the swift flight of a sparrow through mead-hall where you sit at supper in winter, with your Ealdormen and thanes, while the fire blazes in the midst and the hall is warmed, but the wintry storms of rain or snow are raging abroad. The sparrow, flying in at one door and immediately out at another, whilst he is within, is safe from the wintry tempest, but after a short space of fair weather, he immediately vanishes out of your sight, passing from winter to winter again. So this life of man appears for a little while, but of what is to follow or what went before we know nothing at all.” - “The Ecclesiastical History of the English People” by Bede ^
- Everything might be an ex post facto justification, including, let’s be honest, consciousness. ^